Tuesday, October 2, 2018

A walk around my garden... part 1

I've recently been spending a lot of time working out exactly what I want to do with my plants and garden.  I used to consider myself a collector. Which meant everything in pots, sorted, labelled and well organised to an inch of their life (anybody who knows me would be laughing their socks off at that )  Ok yes in pots, but not all that organised.

I've had some challenges over the last year or two, that have seen me withdraw more and more from the succulent society.  It's not that I don't still love them, but I need to admit I just don't have the time or energy for monitoring and looking after a million pots.

So I am being brave, and I've been ripping up garden beds and recreating things. This is not helped by a very helpful Ginger Ninja that likes nothing better than to dig up my plants, or throw soil over things, so this is far from perfect, and its all very much an immature garden.


Overview of the section we are looking at today

This is one plant that he definitely seems to have a problem with, sold to me as  Agave angustifolia 'White Ribbon'.  This is a kind of albino form of the normally practically lethal, prolific angustifolia.

Plant delights in the US sells this one as Agave angustifolia 'Woodrowii'

Agave angustifolia 'Woodrowii'

This one came from a good friend over east. It has seasonal gold variegation.  So the colour comes and goes. Definitely a potatorum... but the official name, I have NO idea, however Ian Hayes tells me its Agave potatorum 'Sunrise' so I'm going with that!

I'm told over east they have a problem selling this one, as when the yellow is fully developed people just think it looks sick, and when its gone, it just looks like a normal potatorum.

Agave potatorum 'Sunrise'

Looking a tad sorry for itself (I think the cats have been fighting again, and one MAY have landed on this one)
Agave bracteosa 'Monterrey Frost' or Agave bracteosa marginata alba
Agave bracteosa "Monterrey Frost"
 Now this is one that nearly everyone should know
Agave 'Snow Glow'

 This one is a little guy at the moment - Agave isthmensis

Agave isthmensis

My poor beheaded Blue Glow - regrowing some new offsets.  The head of this rooted nicely, but I'm afraid I passed that onto a friend.  There is only so many, non variegated plants a girl can keep.

And just for something different - this garden bed has a couple of nice variegated spiral aloe's  (and yes I SO need to weed again!) 

Aloe polyphylla variegated

Aloe polyphylla variegated

And finally, buried in the back corner, is my beheaded Blue Glow... growing a few babies now!


No comments: