Thursday, January 5, 2017

A New Shadehouse...

For my birthday this year, my partner had decided I could choose one of two things... rehoming the trampoline, or rehoming the cubby house.  I chose the cubby house, theory being its very solid construction and wasn't going to fall apart in the next year or two, and the kids have refused for several years to go near it!

Anyway, a friend and I dismantled it, and it was shipped off to our local Riding for Disabled centre.  The cubby house had originally been gifted to us by a heartkids family, so we thought it deserved to go onto other kids with disabilities.  Anyway, here it is, all put together at its new home (yes we headed out and reconstructed it as well.... well the kids were on riding camp, what better way to go visit them!)  Hopefully the kids out there are getting lots of fun out of it, and we still get to visit it once a wee.

BUT this mean I had a small amount of space... not a LOT, but an area around 2m x 3m. Thankfully I have a friend that is incredibly handy with the tools.  So we commenced Greenhouse build part 1.
 The tales inside were reused from another area - they ended up being permanently attached to the shade house.  We added a tinted roof which is holding up well here in Perth, even in 43deg weather.

Shade cloth was wrapped around next (and a few braces)
 Looking great isn't it!
Part 2 was adding further shelving along the back wall.  These are all angled to allow optimal sun for the plants.

Extra area over one bench was also utilised.

 Then I got to fill the stands.  The kiwi green pots are going to lost in the near future as they hold memories that I no longer want, and seriously I never really liked the colour.  I was just happy to go along with a group decision. I'll be glad to never see that colour again.
 Looks fantastic though doesn't it!!!

There's a door to the right of this that allows you to walk behind the back shed.  I'm using that area for pot storage mainly.  It's only about 1m wide, so not big enough for plants.
I still have more shelving to make.  I managed a pile of wood from Masters as it closed down over here, so its going to be fun constructing things. Can't wait! My collection has seriously outgrown the current available space.

For Xmas mum gifted me with some extra shade cloth and a handyman to install. So this area now has approximately a 5m square area under 50% shade cloth. Things are progressing... just slowly.


No comments: